Monday, December 27, 2010

Time is Your Friend

India Flint
Mount Pleasant Region, A.U.
India's hands © India Flint
Artist, writer, and botanical alchemist, India Flint has been on my radar since I met her in early 2009 while we were both in a master class given by Dorothy Caldwell. Throughout that week, I watched India create one of the most glorious pieces of cloth as she quietly and deliberately kept stitching newly dyed fabric each day. Curious to learn how she achieved her results, I decided to attend a workshop under her instruction this past summer at Shakerag.
Her methods have changed my decision making about how I create art. Interested? You can learn more too!


Her newest book, Eco Colour Botanical Dyes for Beautiful Textiles has been released in the United States. If you have the the desire to use less caustic/toxic chemicals in your own artwork (and who isn't?) then this is the book for you. I've read it cover-to-cover and have experimented with using plant materials found right outside my door with favorable results.


If you're not familiar with her work, please click on any of these links to be transported to her world of wonder: her website here or blog here and her world-wide sewing circle here


She is a featured artist in the current issue of FiberArts Magazine


You can learn from India herself in the new year.  She'll be teaching in a wide range of places throughout the world: from New Zealand to Switzerland and from Wisconsin to Maine. See her complete 2011 teaching schedule here.

I hope you immerse yourself in this good book and find yourself in one of her delightful and professionally fulfilling workshops soon.

Write to me, tell me whether you've attended one of her classes or have read her book, or are part of the world-wide sewing circle. 

I'd love to hear from you!

7 comments:

  1. I read your blog quite often. You do a wonderful job in presenting so many informative bits of information that might not be on my own map.
    I love India Flint's work and am very influenced by her. I bought her new book as soon as it hit the US. It is so well written and full of inspiration and it is wonderful to see how she does it all.
    I am working on elements of my own toward the sewing circle. It amuses me that I am writing this e-mail and sending it through the internet while talking and thinking about something that has been done forever with maybe a bone as needle, at first, and then on to metal, etc.
    I am a follower of yours, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well hello Filamental! and thank you for sharing. I'll have to troll over to your blog and follow you. For anyone reading this the link is: http://ididntrealeyes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine, me dear, I'm overcome. utterly pink around the edges. thank you for these kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. India, you deserve these accolades and more. Anyone would be fortunate to attend one of your workshops. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this, and love this terrific artist!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is a wonderful person and her own style of work has to be seen to be fully appreciated. India is incredible on so many fronts and remains a steadfast bastion and loving voice on my journey to being creative as well as just being alive. I look forward to her new book. If u scroll back in my blog, you'll see her influence everywhere. She lead me here to you the first time and I'm glad I came back. Your work effects me too. I feel constrained in my stitching but somehow the way ur lines all meet up, makes me think that perhaps the way i make sense of stitching is just that, my own way and isn't constrained at all! i do enjoy ur work christine. its thoroughly delightful. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. India is a bright light and beacon for us on so many levels. I agree with your description of how she has affected you. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about my work also. I am blushing and honored.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy reading comments!