Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Face to Face with Identity

Amy Sherald
Born, Columbus, GA
Received her MFA from Maryland Institute College of Art, 2004
Currently living in Baltimore, MD, USA

Well Prepared and Maladjusted
2008
43" x 54"
Oil on Canvas

Puppetmaster
2008
51" x 72"
Oil on Canvas
both painting images via Amy Sherald


This image gives you a sense of scale
 image via bmoreart


I don't usually post about painters, and I thought why not?

Amy Sheralds work resonates with me. I like her explorations with identity. I also like that she received a prestigious private study residency with the Norwegian painter, Odd Nerdrumwhose work I saw in 1995 at the Pittsburgh Center for the Arts. They are stunningly realistic and highly dramatic.

I keep looking at these paintings and find myself returning once again.
Her work has a social context and exposes a clever subtext. She is a modern master and one to watch. 

See more here.

3 comments:

  1. These portraits are beautiful! Thanks for sharing them. I LOVE Odd Nerdrum and good for Amy to have been awarded the residency!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoy the post Patti! I only know about O. Nerdrum through my hubby. It was incredible to see his work up close.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy reading comments!