Sunday, December 18, 2011

Learning about Kantha and Sujuni Stitching

Kantha stitching, first attempt, C. Mauersberger, 2011

I attended a 2 day workshop at the Cleveland Museum of Art with Dorothy Caldwell on December 3-4, 2011, hosted by the Textile Art Alliance of the CMA. 


The primary activity we did was to create small pieces using the running stitch in the manner of the women in the Bihar region of India called Sujuni and Kantha
Detail of Kantha-stitched quilt.
21 individual "blocks" stitched by 21 women in the workshop held in Cleveland, OH, 2011
3 blocks after MUCH more stitching
This 2-day workshop was just grand.
Dorothy introduced us to the work of the women of Bihar, India. She brought samples of their work for us to inspect and she presented 2 informative powerpoint lectures filled with many many more informative images.

For those of you who have attended any of Dorothy's workshops, you'll know that she gives each person her unfailing attention. 


My friend and fellow artist, Mary Ann Tipple, also posted about it here.

This morning I decided to draw a bit to workout some imagery apropos for a Kantha-inspired piece. 
I began by looking at the Pointsettia plant on my table. 
 Then I drew.



We'll see what happens next...

8 comments:

  1. agreed. spending time with Dorothy is a gift, the stitching is a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that simple running stitch....

    ReplyDelete
  3. simple becomes complex. i like where you went with it. dorothy sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deanna, India, Jude, and Velma, I know each of you appreciate the simple running stitch. Thank you for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful opportunity. How I love running stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I swooned when I learned Dorothy was coming to Cleveland, Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing. The fleur-de-lis is great. Your leaf drawing is very cool. Totally love the bird.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy reading comments!