Monday, October 4, 2010

Uplifting Wallworks

Julia Barello
Associate Professor
Metalsmithing & Jewelry

New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA


Eddy
2008
dyed x-ray film, nylon, steel
6' x 6' x 5" 

Swoop
The Rubin Center for the Visual Arts,
University of Texas, El Paso
(atrium view)
2007
MRI film, steel

Size variable, 2 story atrium space 30' x 25' 

Julia Barello uses both dyed xray film and MRI film to create silhouettes that seem to float on the wall using long metal pins to hold the shapes in place. 


Her designs create an uplifting and effortless feeling to me.


I'd love to wear one of her necklaces. I think I'd be happy all day long, wouldn't you?
Echinacea



2008 

dyed medical imaging films 

21" x 21" 
Ethopoia
2007
dyed x-ray film, monofilament
23" x 23
All images © Julia Barello 
She has many more lovely works on her website here.

2 comments:

  1. the birds on the wall are amazing - like something you glimpse from the edge of your eye, then follow, then its gone.

    I love it and thanks for showing Julia Barello's work here - introducing her to me.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy reading comments!