Friday, August 24, 2012

Tree Rings and Time Travel

Can't I just cut a tree open and pick a time to travel to visit with my mom?

Tree ring in my neighborhood, August 23, 2012. Andrew Douglass,  used rings to study the stars. He is the forefather of Dendrochronology . I took a picture of this on Wednesday evening during my 2 mile walk around my neighborhood because it spoke to me. 
Then I heard a radio show today called Science Friday where they spoke about the study of Tree Rings. So here we go, we're all connected.
Deadgrass in my neighborhood, Aug. 23, 2012
Someone killed their grass in order to plant new grass.
I was perplexed and intrigued and moved to photograph this  strange sight. I have not altered the color of the grass, evidenced by the yellow stripe in the upper left hand corner, which is the road stripe.
I am moving forward, making stitch marks on the apron shared between me and my mom. 






The layout for the artwork is here.

One of my good friends said that no one can tell you how to grieve. 

I am my mothers daughter, it is a strange and new place these days. I appreciate you. 
I will move on and be a stronger woman for all of us.

Gosh, I better be, we've got such a fight in the USA these days. 

Let's go women!!!




3 comments:

  1. rings and patches and stitches is how we are. grieving takes it's own path, rings and patches and stitches. be gentle with yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very sorry to hear aobut your Mom. Grief is definitely a winding path but as you walk it you will discover new things about yourself and your Mom.

    Your tree rings really ring a bell for me - I ahve been working on some cloth based on tree rings that I shot this summer!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy reading comments!